Dentists give you Dental fillings to fill your cavities and restore your decayed teeth. Fillings are durable that let your teeth to chew and grind, just like original teeth. But at times, these fillings can come loose.
How does a filling get damaged?
- Tooth decay due to a poor oral regimen
- A face trauma
- Teeth grinding or clenching
- Allergic reaction to filling material (example: mercury, amalgam, silver)
- Chewing and biting crunchy or hard foods
If you feel your dental filling is loose or feel uneasy while biting, don’t ignore it. A loose, broken or fallen out filling is a crucial issue that calls for dentist’s attention.
How to deal with a Loose Filling?
- Ease the sensitivity – Movement of the filling may let the site to turn sore, sensitive or irritated. Washing your mouth with warm salt solution can render you some relief. You can even apply clove oil. You can also put an ice pack to numb the tooth.
- Do not panic –Always remain calm whenever you face any dental issues. Generally, fillings can be reapplied immediately. But do not wait too long to visit your dentist to make sure your teeth stay healthy.
- Keep your mouth clean –When the filling comes loose, the tooth cavity is revealed. Therefore, it is highly essential to keep your mouth clean. Avoid chewing from the same side of the mouth. Brush properly and remember to wash your mouth after every meal. Also gargle with antiseptic mouthwash.
- Call the dentist –If you find any signals that detect a loose filling, you should immediately call your Dentist in McMurray. Keep the filling so your dentist can decide whether it can be reused or be replaced. Our Dentist in McMurray will study the portion around the tooth and cavity fillings. This is to ensure that there has been no growth of bacteria and the infection hasn’t extended till the nerves of your teeth. Your dentist might have to prepare your tooth before a fresh filling can be applied. If left untreated, the condition might become worse and require a root canal.
How to prevent a filling from coming loose?
Always remember that dental fillings are not meant forever. They naturally stay between 2 and 10 years. But you can improve the structural integrity and durability of your filling by taking a few precautions:
- Visit a recognized and skilled dentist who will apply your filling in a way that will last long. You can always visit us at Omni Dental, as we have the best dentists
- Don’t bite down and chew on hard things that could spoil your filling
- Implement proper oral habits
- Visit your dentist regularly to check the health of your fillings
- Consider a dental onlay or a crown which is far more durable procedure of tooth restorations
Of course, your dentist will recommend the best treatment plan for you! Now, if you’re looking for a ‘Dentist near me’ in McMurray, PA, then surely reach us at Omni Dental McMurray to receive composite fillings. The fillings are tooth-colored and will appear natural!