Wearing an Invisalign retainer is a great way to maintain your perfect smile after you've completed treatment. But keeping your retainer clean and bacteria-free is essential for optimal results from this orthodontic treatment. One of the best ways to do this is by using baking soda. It's a natural and effective cleaning agent that can help keep your Invisalign retainer fresh and germ-free! Take a closer look at why baking soda is such a good cleaner for Invisalign retainers.
Why Do You Need Invisalign Retainers?
Invisalign is a popular orthodontic treatment in modern-day dentistry. The Invisalign aligners are virtually invisible, making them an excellent choice for adults and teenagers. It's also effective for those who want to improve their smile without paying attention to their orthodontic treatment. The retainers are also removable so they can be taken out for eating and brushing. However, you must wear Invisalign aligners for at least 20-22 hours daily to achieve the best results. Invisalign aligners are replaced every two weeks, and each new set of aligners moves the teeth a little closer to the desired position. When treatment is complete, Invisalign patients must wear retainers to keep their teeth from moving back to their original position.
How Long Do Invisalign Aligners Last?
The length of Invisalign treatment depends on each patient, but it typically ranges from 6 months to 2 years. To ensure that the Invisalign aligners last as long as possible, it is essential to clean them regularly. The best times to clean Invisalign aligners are after eating and before putting them back in your mouth.
The Benefits of Using Baking Soda to Clean Your Invisalign Retainer
Cleaning your Invisalign retainer with baking soda couldn't be easier! Baking soda has properties that make it ideal for cleaning dental appliances such as Invisalign retainers. It has an alkaline pH level, which helps dissolve plaque buildup on the surface of the retainer. Additionally, baking soda has mild abrasive qualities, which can help remove any tough stains or discoloration from the surface of the retainer without damaging it. Finally, baking soda has antibacterial properties that can help kill off harmful bacteria on the surface of the retainer and prevent further bacterial growth.
How To Clean Your Invisalign Retainer with Baking Soda
- Start by filling up a cup or bowl with warm water. Add a teaspoon of baking soda into the water and mix until it has dissolved completely.
- Submerge your Invisalign retainer in the mixture for a few minutes and allow the baking soda to work its magic. It helps loosen any gunk and bacteria that might have built up on your retainer. The longer you leave it in the mixture, the better!
- After you've let it soak, take out your retainer and use a toothbrush to scrub away any remaining plaque or bacteria gently. Be sure to clean only a little, as this could damage the plastic material of your retainer!
- Rinse the baking soda residue using cool water and then dry off using a towel or air-dry.
- Place it back inside its case after cleaning so that it stays protected from dirt and dust particles that may accumulate around it over time if left uncovered.
- Repeat this process every day after taking out your Invisalign retainer from its case to maintain optimal oral hygiene levels!
Other Ways To Clean Your Invisalign Aligners
Brush your Invisalign aligners with a soft-bristled toothbrush at least once daily.
Use mild soap and lukewarm water to clean your Invisalign aligners. Avoid hot water, which can cause the aligners to warp.
Rinse your Invisalign aligners thoroughly before putting them back in your mouth.
Clean your Invisalign aligners with Invisalign Cleaning Crystals at least once a week. Soak the crystals in lukewarm water for at least 15 minutes, then rinse the aligners thoroughly before putting them back in your mouth.
The Bottom Line
Keeping your Invisalign retainer clean is essential for optimal oral health while ensuring that your beautiful smile lasts even after treatment! Baking soda is one of the best cleaners for dental appliances like retainers—it's all-natural, effective, and won't damage or scratch up your appliance when appropriately used. Cleaning an Invisalign retainer with baking soda is an easy way to keep yours looking new for many years! It's essential not only for aesthetic purposes but also for maintaining good oral health.